Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996TT, starting up after five years sitting - what to do?

Hello everyone, I haven't been around because... the cars have been sitting. Since fall 2019.
In an effort to actually get SOME use out of them, I had the odd idea to at least get ONE moving and I was wondering what a reasonable order of operations is.
The car was parked in mid november of 2019 with the tires topped up to 50 PSI, in a garage under a cover - where it currently sits. Battery was taken out of it at that time, but no other special considerations were employed because, well, I was planning to take it back out for Easter 2020. That.. didn't quite work out.

So now the question is : what to do? I was going to move it to the lift ... somehow (that's going to be exciting...) and at the very least change engine oil and filter before even ATTEMPTING to start it.
Anything else I should consider? For reference, there are 61k mi on the car, it's one of the last produced and I've had it since early 2008. Manual gearbox. To the best of my knowledge, the car is 100% as it left the factory back in late '04 save for engine oil, oil filter and air filter - and brake fluid.
That means that yes, in all likelihood trans fluids and coolant are the factory fill and while I was TOLD spark plugs had been replaced just before turning it over to me, I never actually got written proof of that in the stack of receipts from Porsche in CA that came with it. Belts, idlers... should (?) also all be factory.
In my head, I see this as a two-stage process, i.e. first do the 'essential' work, get it back on the road for 50-100 miles, then put it back on the lift and do .. the rest (including driver side glass regulator, finally addressing the rear spoiler that stopped working on the way back from CA in 2008... etc).

Ideas, suggestions, comments welcome.

Edited by nmlss2006

• Moderators

Plan on draining and replacing EVERY fluid in the car (oil, coolant, power steering fluid, brake fluid, gas, etc.) and replace the battery. Once that is done, pull the fuel pump fuse or relay and wind the engine into oil pressure. Reconnect the fuel pump and see if it will start.

• Upvote 1

Thank you JFP, one question: I was contemplating the gas, which yes, is one of the things which are very much on my mind. The question is: Is there a reasonable way to drain it? Or, how bad is outright dropping the fuel tank to take a look inside with a borescope and see if it needs further cleaning?
The rest should be straightfoward (famous last words) and I do have a vacuum bleeder for the cooling system.
I'm somewhat worried by 'see if it will start', I have to say :).

• Moderators

You can pump the gas out of the tank with an external pump, but the problem with seeing inside the tank is it is a split "saddle
" style tank, which will be a bear to get a camera to see all of the nooks and crannies.  Drain it, flush it with some fresh fuel, and you should be good to go.  Just add a large bottle of Techron to the new gas, along with a dose of Stabil.