Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

08 Boxster Base Oil Leak/ Fluctuating Overheat

Well I thought I was done w/ my project car. Issue 1: In route to pre track tech inspection to track I was watching my temp guage and it was at 12 o'clock then pinned all the way right for 20 seconds...went back to 12 pos. Too and fro back and forth. I assume i have a some air pockets in my cooling sys that I recently changed( yes with venturi tool). So I'll try and get air pockets out by driving and adding coolant. Or emptying coolant and refilling w coolant.

ISSUE 2:

Upon arriving at pre track inspection the whole underside was splattered with oil. AOS was previously replaced.... looked clean. Oil dripping off L axle and R side coolant hoses near front of engine. From the top it looked like there was more oil on the R side but difficult to find the source of the leak. Any suggestions as to where to start.  Or most likely source of leak. Thanks V

Edited by vza

Ok what does that mean... When I first got the car I pulled the trans did the FW,RMS and IMS seal. Then ...checked the timing. I'm sure I put the plugs back in but I cant be 100% sure. Would that be the sorce of the leak I've read you can loose a lot of oil from here. I replaced 2 qts of oil and revved the engine while looking at the spinning cam ends but they were dry... no oil. 

Edited by vza

• Moderators

The four plugs are there for using cam holding tools when removing the cam covers, they form both an oil and vacuum seal.  The AOS supplies a controlled vacuum source (`5 inches of water) that evacuates the oil sump, allowing the low-tension piston rings to proper seal; if the AOS fails, the sump can develop considerable pressure, which will pop out these plugs, which use a simple friction seal.  And before you ask, you should NEVER use any type of sealant on them, they should just be inserted clean and dry as they are the "safety" to prevent the front and rear main crank seals from blowing out due to over pressure.  And yes, if you blow one or more out, they will leak oil badly.

Okay well the good news is I think I found my source then because all four were missing. I found 4 new plugs I ordered so it turns out I never installed them. I'm also reading that aftermarket AOS can cause an issue and that's what I used I think I used a Uro part. Considering i never installed the plugs i probably ok. Thanks V

Edited by vza

Off topic..Any harm in tracking the car with my variocam solenoids not activating. Not totally sure bout that....no CEL's I couldnt hear engine note change when trying to activate w Durametric. ...only when I jumped them w a 9v battery. Thanks V

Edited by vza

• Moderators

Hard to say, as I have never tried it.  But even if nothing unexpected mechanically happens, the car will be running way below its potential as the Vario Cam adds significant performance to the engine; so, running it this way is much like a boxer stepping into the ring with one hand tied behind their back.  Personally, I see no real reason to even attempt it as I cannot see what you are going to learn from the experience......

Yeah you're right just anxious to run it but it dosent make sense. I'll see what my options are. Thanks John

BTW I would never ask what sealer to use on cam caps. Regards V

Edited by vza

• Moderators
16 hours ago, vza said:

Yeah you're right just anxious to run it but it dosent make sense. I'll see what my options are. Thanks John

BTW I would never ask what sealer to use on cam caps. Regards V

NONE, ZERO, NADA; THEY ARE INSTALLED CLEAN AND DRY................... If you sealed or glued in the green plugs, they wouldn't act as safety's and pop out when the sump went under pressure, then either your front or rear main seal would pop out instead.  And while I don't know about you, I'd much rather have to replace the green plugs rather than the main crank seals, but that's just my preference..................😉

Joke ...I know no sealer..nada...niente...

Just to touch on the variocam. My previous DME was deemed faulty (I had misfires and was checking the Solenoids) and was replaced by Doctor ECU. Since the new DME  I have no CEL's but checked the variocam sys by trying to activate my cam adj with my Durametric and they still won't activate....they did however activate w/ a 9v battery. Today I was talking with a local Indy and he said the Durametric has always been glitchy (definitely agree) and if I'm not currently getting any CELS and the car isn't running badly I'm over thinking it and I don't have any issues. John you said the same here:

Would you agree? So it would be safe to assume I'm good. Correct??

Edited by vza

• Moderators

Two points; yes, if something was wrong the car should code.  Second, if the Vario Cam is not functioning, the car is giving up a lot of performance.  And while some have called the Durametric system "glitchy", it is still the best tool out there short of a PIWIS system, and if it says the cams are not switching position with RPM's, I would tend to believe it.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, vza said:

How about this. Is there another way to look at the cam angle change(think thats what its called) like you said when increasing RPMs rather than just activating the solenoids. 

Durametric and PIWIS can both show that graphically as "Actual cam angle". 

spacer.png

Hmm..explain simple terms. Select Cam1/cam2 deviation.

Rev engine and I should see a intake increase 24 degrees over what the exhaust cam is. Correct...sort of made that up. The cams don't adjust until a certain RPM 2000 ish?

Oh ok sounds easy enough. "Actual angle for cam shaft." I see it on the Pic you posted. So if the angle changes my variocam is functioning. Should I see change 24 degrees or am I just looking for a curve when revving. Thanks big help as always.