Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

97" Boxster O2 sensor harness repalcement

Trying to solve a persistent CEL light which was thrown by P1102 and P1107 ( pre cat sensor heating power exceeds limit value ) I've been trying to check ( as suggested by JFP ) continuity, resistance, etc in the harness, and that has proven to be a for me, a difficult and onerous task. Troubleshooting electrical is not my forte. I'm considering just replacing the entire harness ( 996-612-988-00 ) and wonder how challenging this might be? I have already done new speed senors successfully.

Would I simply leave the longer runs in the back of the trunk the trunk in place, and run the new one alongside? I don't want to create more problems by moving and messing around with old wires. I haven't seen any tutorials or videos concerning this repair.

Thanks

• Admin

:welcomeani:

I've known more than a couple MY97 Boxster owners that have to replace one or both O2 sensors every 2-4 years.

I can not say that the issue is not the harness - but changing any harness is not an easy task.

For some reason the heating element on MY97 cars seems to trigger these faults and I though it was a design/programming issue on the early cars. Just me 2 cents...

• Moderators

I have to agree with Loren's comments on the 97 cars having more than their share of O2 sensor issue, probably as the result of the first DME version.

That said, he is also correct in trying to replace sections of the car's main wiring harness, it is a bear of a job and not without its own related problems.  If the electrical diagnostics I suggested are outside your capabilities, it may be time to take the car to a qualified independent shop for them to run the diagnostics, which takes a lot less time than replacing the harness.  In all the years I have been working on these cars, very few times was a partial harness replacement actually required, and then only as the outcome of an onboard fire.  Most harness issues are repairable.

Thanks to both of you. A brief recap of my saga-

June- CEL comes on with 1102 & 1107 codes. I buy 2 new Bosch sensors and install them ( pre cat ).

CEL out for about 75 miles and comes back on with 1115 & 1119 codes. Same problem with a different code # this time.

Remove and clean MAF sensor. No chage in CEL or codes.

Decide at this point I need help and take to my indy shop. Here's their conclusion-

IMG_9230.jpg.451225e7dcc22166b887f4a5faabffec.jpg

I am dubious that both new sensors could be bad, but go ahead and buy 2 more and replace them. I got about 200 miles of no CEL before it came back on, with the 1102 & 1107 codes...Not happy having spent over $500 on diagnostics which were incorrect apparently. The receipt seems to indicate the harness has been ruled out, but I don't know if they did a wire by wire check as Jeff has suggested and should try and confirm that.

Not sure what to do at this point. I guess I am intimidated by both the logistics of the harness check, and fear of harming a wire at the connector end trying to check it myself.

Since it is consistently both banks and the same 2 sensors, it has to be something in the electronics upstream of the senors right?