Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

X51 oil pan to prevent oil starvation issues?

I have a 1998 996C2 3,4 with the following chassis upgrades:

-PSS10 coilovers

-GT3 sways

I use GT3 street wheel alignments.

To avoid the added G forces possible with these upgrades leading to oil starvation I have ordered an x51 oil pan from Suncoast.

However, I've just read that LNengineering claims that the x51 oil pan does not improve the situation unless the additional x51 oil pump and suction pipes are also used.

Is this really so, or is LNenginnering making a case for their own deep sump kit?

Have anybody installed the addtional X51 parts:

Pump: 996.107.980.00

Suction Pipe: 99610798402

?

Thanks,

Bjarne

• Admin

Yes the statement on the X51 sump kit is correct.

To add the additional pump requires removing the cylinder head and doing some machining - or buying a pre-machined cylinder head for X51. So this is much more than add-on parts.

Does the X51 kit work better than the LNegineering kit?

Hard to say - the LNengineering provided extra sump capacity that one hope would make up for the slow return from the cylinder head. The factory X51 kit uses a pump to the return the oil and does not increase capacity.

• Upvote 1

Yes the statement on the X51 sump kit is correct.

To add the additional pump requires removing the cylinder head and doing some machining - or buying a pre-machined cylinder head for X51. So this is much more than add-on parts.

Does the X51 kit work better than the LNegineering kit?

Hard to say - the LNengineering provided extra sump capacity that one hope would make up for the slow return from the cylinder head. The factory X51 kit uses a pump to the return the oil and does not increase capacity.

I guess machining the cyl head a much bigger job than I am prepared to take on.

If I understand you correct adding the x51 oil pan on its own will not reduce oil starvation issues on my 3,4?

Should I get the LN enginnering deep sump kit instead?

Thanks,

Bjarne

Both will help with the problem.

:oops: Do you mean that the x51 oil pan on its own will improve the situation, but not cure it competely?

(Sorry if I go on here, just want to make sure I understand you correctly)

The best solution would be to find a used GT3 to race.

:thumbup:

• Admin

X51 pan won't solve the problem by itself. The problem is oil returning from the head and oil going to the head(s) under corning force.

The pump will send it back on an ongoing basis. The LNengineering deep sump prevents some oil from going to head.