Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Exhaust on 3.4 conversion

On my 3.4 conversion, I am currently running NHP headers, Boxster S cats, and the NHP muffler. Seemingly, the NHP headers are not made for a lowered engine, and therefore the exhaust never fit quite right, which manifested in the U-tube breaking at the track on Friday and shooting hot exhaust onto the rear bumper, which burned through the heat shield and melted a hole in the rear bumper.

So, not only am I in for a new bumper, but I need to figure out what to do with the exhaust. Wayne at PelicanParts is running the FabSpeed setup, but at around $3,000, that's a little more than I want to spend. Anyone else who has done the conversion, what are you running? I've heard a Cayman S exhaust will fit, though getting the muffler mounted seems like a challenge.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Steve,

Sorry to hear about the troubles. The issue you have really has nothing to do with the conversion it has to do with the poor quality of the NHP fabrication. The resulting issue being that the NHP parts fit like crap. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, your best solution is to go to a custom exhaust place and get some mid pipes bent up that properly fit the NHP muffler inputs. The U-tubes provided with the NHP setup you purchased simply are not the correct size piping to fit properly into their own muffler. Many companies make proper fitting exhaust parts that fit just fine on the Boxster chassis (supersprint, fabspeed etc). Unfortunately, many of the cheaper solutions fit like crap. Fitting the factory Cayman setup is not too hard but will require some fabrication mounting the muffler, as well as mods to the shock body and the plastic fender well liners.

-Todd

• Upvote 1

On my 3.4 conversion, I am currently running NHP headers, Boxster S cats, and the NHP muffler. Seemingly, the NHP headers are not made for a lowered engine, and therefore the exhaust never fit quite right, which manifested in the U-tube breaking at the track on Friday and shooting hot exhaust onto the rear bumper, which burned through the heat shield and melted a hole in the rear bumper.

So, not only am I in for a new bumper, but I need to figure out what to do with the exhaust. Wayne at PelicanParts is running the FabSpeed setup, but at around $3,000, that's a little more than I want to spend. Anyone else who has done the conversion, what are you running? I've heard a Cayman S exhaust will fit, though getting the muffler mounted seems like a challenge.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hey Steve, you do not need to purchase a new bumper cover, that one can be repaired by any competend auto body shop for hopefully less than a new cover and paint

just giving you another option

Harry