Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Pse Installed... Few Questions...

Hey,

Just got my PSE installed on my 2005 C2S... I got the on/off option connected to my sports button... I'm loving the sound, the note is great and its not obnoxiously loud :) .... A friend got a Borla muffler system installed on his Cayman and the drone/resonance he gets in low RPM is enough to make you get migraines!!! Must admit though the Borla sounds unreal at high rpm...

Anyways just a few questions about my PSE:

- At different Rpm's the exhaust makes completely different notes (even sometimes at mid rpm it doesn't even sound like I have a sports exhaust, sounds stock). The dealer told me i need to drive the car for a while and then the sound settles in and becomes a nice uniform note... Is this true or is the sound always different depending on the rpm (I hate how sometimes the sports sound fades away and it sounds stock then out of nowhere it kicks back in)....

- Read before something about valves opening at over 50 Km/h in the exhaust... What is this and do i have it and can I have my valves always open (I really want sporty exhaust note on my car all the time, no matter what speed I'm going)

- I'm undecided on whether to disconnect the exhaust from the sports button and have the exhaust on always... going to try it out with the button for a month then decide, but if I want to have it always on do you recommend i do it myself or send it to the dealer (read in the forum its as easy as just unplugging some wire)

All in all I'm loving the PSE, and highly recommend it to all Porsche owners!!!! Porsches are amazing cars but the sound they make is just not sporty enough from stock (unless you have a GT3!!) There are a bunch of after market exhausts out there to choose from and there's the PSE (need to do your homework and see which goes with your lifestyle). If you have a wife, fiance, or girlfriend DEFINITELY get an exhaust with an on/off option!!!! TRUST ME :) !!!

I've heard about this wearing in idea. I dunno. I haven't heard any difference over time in mine. Plus, if it sounds right sometimes to you, then it can't be that anyway.

Yes, the default mode with PSE quiets it down off idle until some speed. The algorithm seems to be more complex that just a speed cutoff. But what you describe sounds like normal behavior.

It's easy to bypass the control values. Just pull the electrical connector off the controller. Search the fourm, tons of pics. I like the sound load all the time. I also bypassed the intake resonator at it gets a very Porsche sounding howl at 3 and 6k. Very fun.

I love the PSE sound over the other aftermarket exhausts. It just sounds right and it burbles beautifully as the fuels cuts back in on decel. In fact, if you like it loud all the time, you can just add the PSE mufflers by themselves w/o the controls. They are about $1200 which is cost competitive with the other exhausts. You don't need the electronics - the valves by default are in loud mode. Of course, if you want the on/off, PSE you need it.

My car has PSE from the factory and then straight pipes (way too loud by the way wink.gif). So I just had to put the mufflers back and that's why I know the cost. I already had the vaccum switch so it got hooked up but I would have been happy with just the cans.

Edited by g.lu

I've heard about this wearing in idea. I dunno. I haven't heard any difference over time in mine. Plus, if it sounds right sometimes to you, then it can't be that anyway.

Yes, the default mode with PSE quiets it down off idle until some speed. The algorithm seems to be more complex that just a speed cutoff. But what you describe sounds like normal behavior.

It's easy to bypass the control values. Just pull the electrical connector off the controller. Search the fourm, tons of pics. I like the sound load all the time. I also bypassed the intake resonator at it gets a very Porsche sounding howl at 3 and 6k. Very fun.

I love the PSE sound over the other aftermarket exhausts. It just sounds right and it burbles beautifully as the fuels cuts back in on decel. In fact, if you like it loud all the time, you can just add the PSE mufflers by themselves w/o the controls. They are about $1200 which is cost competitive with the other exhausts. You don't need the electronics - the valves by default are in loud mode. Of course, if you want the on/off, PSE you need it.

My car has PSE from the factory and then straight pipes (way too loud by the way wink.gif). So I just had to put the mufflers back and that's why I know the cost. I already had the vaccum switch so it got hooked up but I would have been happy with just the cans.

Thanks alot for the feedback....

I will defintely search the forum for bypassing the control valves (seems easy).... you also mentioned you bypassed the intake resonator which gave you a nice sound (how did you do this, or are the instructions also found in the forum?)

I already dished out quite a bit of cash for the full PSE system from the dealer :( .... I think I should have done what you said and just got the mufflers, anyways I'm going to keep my eyes on the bright side and enjoy my new Porsche sound (loving it, think this is what stock Porsches should sound like!!!)

Again I appreciate the reply...

The PSE will make a different sound depending on the load on the engine , when on the overrun you get less of a boom but more crackles and pops , when under load climbing a hill the engine works harder and you get a deeper more agressive note. Under steady state cruising with light throttle the exhuast can almost become as unobtrusive as the standard item. Wind the revs above 5k and you get a loud agressive bark.

Regarding the activation of the PSE , I made up a custom loom to allow a simple switch to activate and de activate the PSE without the DME overide between 20 and 40 mph. If you are activating the PSE via the SPORT button currently , the bypass switch allows you to have the PSE always active without the need to reset every time you start the car . It also allows the PSE to be active without the sport mapping of the throttle and PSM. The loom I made is plug and play , so you dont need to modify any of the existing wiring , making it completely reversible. The switch can be mounted under the handbrake or inside the ash tray.

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_9223.jpg

IMG_9036.jpg

Edited by berty987

The PSE will make a different sound depending on the load on the engine , when on the overrun you get less of a boom but more crackles and pops , when under load climbing a hill the engine works harder and you get a deeper more agressive note. Under steady state cruising with light throttle the exhuast can almost become as unobtrusive as the standard item. Wind the revs above 5k and you get a loud agressive bark.

Regarding the activation of the PSE , I made up a custom loom to allow a simple switch to activate and de activate the PSE without the DME overide between 20 and 40 mph. If you are activating the PSE via the SPORT button currently , the bypass switch allows you to have the PSE always active without the need to reset every time you start the car . It also allows the PSE to be active without the sport mapping of the throttle and PSM. The loom I made is plug and play , so you dont need to modify any of the existing wiring , making it completely reversible. The switch can be mounted under the handbrake or inside the ash tray.

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_9223.jpg

IMG_9036.jpg

The independent button for the exhaust you have come up with is brilliant!!! Wish I could get one of those set ups, the problem is I had asked my dealer here in Lebanon to do something like that for me but they said they couldn't and I'm not a very technical person to Do it my self (I'll probably screw something up)... I guess my only solution is to either have the exhaust on all the time (bypassing the electronics) or I'll have to live with it connected to the sports button and be forced to press it everytime I turn the car on :cursing: (very annoying though)

Aliballan,

If you want the PSE on all the time (like I do) just disconnect the orange connector shown in the photo. You can disconnect the hose as shown in the photo too for the same effect. Disconnecting the orange connector is much easier. Zip tie it to a nearby cable and cover the electrical ends so debris doesn't get in them. I use the fingers of latex gloves and made little "condoms" for the connector ends.

Super easy to switch back to stock if you want to..

cheers.gif

post-7267-127264523054_thumb.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_9223.jpg

IMG_9036.jpg

Berty,

That is awesome......

Thanks alot for the feedback....

I will defintely search the forum for bypassing the control valves (seems easy).... you also mentioned you bypassed the intake resonator which gave you a nice sound (how did you do this, or are the instructions also found in the forum?)

I already dished out quite a bit of cash for the full PSE system from the dealer sad.gif .... I think I should have done what you said and just got the mufflers, anyways I'm going to keep my eyes on the bright side and enjoy my new Porsche sound (loving it, think this is what stock Porsches should sound like!!!)

Again I appreciate the reply...

phillipj posted a good pic on how to pull the elec harness entering the vacuum switch for the PSE valves. Personally I just leave my connecter sitting on top of the value, just not seated all the way. It won't make elec contact with snapping down. That way it stays clean and looks normal.

I have not seen a post on bypassing the resonator like I did. I've read of folks plugging the tube or jamming the valve shut. Some folks have prototyped the sound by just putting the duct tape on the airbox side but thats for sure a round the block kind of thing. In any case, the issue is that the value is normally open by default (i.e. no vac applied) and we want it closed by default. Noting the that the vacuum control valve is just an on/off switch, I just went around it - I connected the input vac line to the output and hence, then actuator always gets vac and stays closed. Takes like 2 min. to do.

The valve in on the back of the airbox looking from the rear - between the airbox and the engine. Sort of right down from the PSE control. You can see the wire harness coming in from the right. Follow that you'll find the value. It has two vac lines coming in, just connect them together.

I can't post a pic but I also can't really see it to take a pic anyway. You have to connect it with the airbox in place. Go here: http://login.dealers...USA_Katalog.pdf

then page 35 in pdf or 106-01 in the PET. 17 is the value, 19 is the line from the value to the actuator. Not shown is the input to 17 but it's the only other vac line so it's easy to see.

Gerald

Thank you all very the very helpful and informative replies.... RENNTECH RULES!!!!!

You're welcome. BTW, did you disconnect the valves? If so, what do you think?

I also wanted to clarify my above. I said $1200 for the cans alone. Note that you still need tips - you can't use the non PSE tips. So that's a few hundred $. You need tips for aftermarket exhausts too so I'd argue the upgrade cost is still similar but I wanted to be clear.

Thank you all very the very helpful and informative replies.... RENNTECH RULES!!!!!

You're welcome. BTW, did you disconnect the valves? If so, what do you think?

I also wanted to clarify my above. I said $1200 for the cans alone. Note that you still need tips - you can't use the non PSE tips. So that's a few hundred $. You need tips for aftermarket exhausts too so I'd argue the upgrade cost is still similar but I wanted to be clear.

Haven't disconnecting the valves yet. Want to clear something up though, if i do disconnect the electric wire for the valves as explained in the previous replies does this cancel out the on - off option for the sports exhaust???

Oh by the way just received my softronic tuned ecu file, unfortunately I'm traveling on business tonight so I wont be able to try it out till I come back in three weeks... Going all out with my Porsche (kinda got bored and wanted to make some changes to the car since I'm waiting for the new generation 911 to come out next year to upgrade)... Will probably post something up about my experience and satisfaction with the softronic ecu flash performance in a month...

Aliballan,

Yes it does cancel the on/off function in the Sport Chrono. The PSE is loud all the time. Which I think is the way the car should sound.....

Even my wife thinks it sounds awesome....clapping.gif

Look forward to what you think of the Softtronic ...

cheers.gif

Edited by phillipj

The PSE is loud all the time. Which I think is the way the car should sound...

I could not agree more thumbup.gif

It's the only way to drive :). For me, I don't like the throttle mapping changes each time I switch back and forth. But in all honesty, it's not that loud. I had straight pipes on and that was loud. Plus it resonated like crazy inside. First thing I did was swap them out.

Aliballan,

Yes it does cancel the on/off function in the Sport Chrono. The PSE is loud all the time. Which I think is the way the car should sound.....

Even my wife thinks it sounds awesome....clapping.gif

Look forward to what you think of the Softtronic ...

cheers.gif

It's funny, as soon as I get in the car the first thing I do is hit the sports button so I can have the exhaust sound, but I'm reluctant to disconnect the wires because I paid so much cash just to get the on- off option !!!! Even though since the day I installed the exhaust I haven't once driven it without the exhaust in loud mode :) (totally agree that this is what the car should sound like from stock).... I think I should just disconnect it and have it on all the time and forget about the extra $$$$ spent on getting the on-off option... Will probably do that as soon as I'm back from my trips...

Will be posting in a while to tell you about the softronic...

Like most people , I have the PSE active all the time. The beauty of the bypass switch is it allows you to revert to quiet mode when returning home late or those times when perhaps you want a low profile with the local police. Its a clean and non traceable way to activate and de activate the PSE that can be simply switched come time for a service. Hiding the switch in the ashtray, its unlikely any but the most astute porsche tech would notice ther eis anything non standard. The switch is also a very cost effective way to get PSE control for those retro fitting a PSE that do not have sport chrono and would otherwise require additional wiring and a new switch panel.