Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Need A New Engine After Only 36,000 Km

Just got back from the local dealership and after pulling the plugs on my 2003 C4S they found a fouled plug in cylinder 5. So they did a borescope and found significant scaring in the cylinder. I saw the video and I definitely have a problem.

They provided a quote of over $22,000 to replace the engine (3.6). Aside from my huge disappointment that after only 36,000 km I have a problem like this, the bill to fix it is a bit overwhelming.

I've placed some calls to some independent shops in town to explore some other options - have to wait and see how that pans out.

Has anyone replaced an engine through Porsche recently? Did the cost compare to the quote I've been given? I should mention I'm in Canada.

Any advice on new, rebuilt, used, etc.? Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by hummitz

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. I had an engine replacement at one time as well. If you do a serch there are a lot of threads on this subject. just recently someone posted some info on competent shops in Canada for a rebuild etc.

Good luck..cheers.gif

Hummitz - That is a crazy number. Where do you live? 3.6 engines in the states are only $10,000-$12,000, remans from Porsche, sometimes even cheaper.

That's kinda what I thought. I'm in Calgary, Alberta. There are a couple good independents in the city that are looking into some options for me. Hopefully something comes from that.

Call Jeff Clark at Sunset in Beaverton OR and see what a Porsche Re manufactured 3.6 is going for. I know that both the 3..6 and the 3.6 X51 were less than a 3.4, and less than $10,000 4 or 5 months ago. And a few months ago both Sunset and Suncoast were having a special on them, Porsche had a batch of them that they put out these. You can also try Sonnen Porsche (porscheoemparts.com). This assumes you can bring an engine into Canada from the states. If you can installation should only be $2,000-$2,500. If the car was drivable I would say drive it to Sunset and have them put the engine in. Maybe you could have it hauled there and the work done. Even with the freight it would be far less than $22,000. Only issue is the border.

I contacted Porsche Canada and inquired about some good will on the engine replacement (due to the low mileage) and they are "unable to provide any goodwill". I asked if Porsche would consider selling me an engine at their cost and they simply repeated "we are unable to provide any goodwill".

But I did make some calls to some dealerships in the States and it looks like there are some significant savings to be had going down there (thanks Dharn55 - Sunset is the cheapest so far). Warranty is still honored in Canada as well. Just have to check into the border implications.

Thanks to all for the input!

thankyou.gif

I had a 2004 C2 with 42,000 mile. I had a rattle from the rear and the dealer took a look inside the engine, saw scaring and told me I needed a new engine. They quoted roughly 16K.

Since the car had been serviced at the same dealer, and since I was 4 months out of warranty they contacted Porsche NA to see if they would help me out, perhaps split the difference. In about 12 hours they responded that they were shipping a replacement upgraded engines at no cost and all I would need to do is pay for the installation ~3K. What great service!!

The punchline is that thet rattle was actually the left cat - which they also replaced under warranty. All in all I got an upgraded engine, no need to do any service any time soon and a 2 year warranty for 3K, so no complaints at all.

Simon

Just got back from the local dealership and after pulling the plugs on my 2003 C4S they found a fouled plug in cylinder 5. So they did a borescope and found significant scaring in the cylinder. I saw the video and I definitely have a problem.

They provided a quote of over $22,000 to replace the engine (3.6). Aside from my huge disappointment that after only 36,000 km I have a problem like this, the bill to fix it is a bit overwhelming.

I've placed some calls to some independent shops in town to explore some other options - have to wait and see how that pans out.

Has anyone replaced an engine through Porsche recently? Did the cost compare to the quote I've been given? I should mention I'm in Canada.

Any advice on new, rebuilt, used, etc.? Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks.

Where in Canada are you located? If you're in Ontario and not far from Hamilton, try Raz Automotive Service. He has a reasonable labour charge, experience with Porsche (and other German cars), and able to rebuild from bottom up rather than replace.