Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Changing Sidelight Bulbs on 996

Recently, I changed the sidelights on my 996 C4S from U.S. amber/white light to European clear/amber light. Only after changing the bulbs did I see in the owner's manual never to touch the bulbs with bare hands to prevent any grease on the bulbs. :oops:

My questions are:

1. What is the worse case scenario if I did get fingerprints on the bulb?

2. Can anything be damaged?

3. Should I preemtively replace the current amber bulb with a new one being very careful only not to handle the bulb with my bare hand?

4. Does anyone have the part number for replacement amber side light bulbs?

Thank you for your help!

John

Edited by John S

• Moderators

Find something else to worry about. I have been changing incandescent bults on cars, motorcycles, and motorcycles for years with my greasy fingers. I know what it says in the owners manual, but don't they also say to use only Porsche approved air in your tires. Next it will be to wear gloves when you change a table lamp bulb.

Halogen bulbs are different since they burn much hotter. Those bulbs I do not touch. But if they have dirt on them then you simply clean it off.

The clear and amber bulbs can be found at any decent parts place.

post-2-1095128680_thumb.jpg

I agree with Tool Pants -- you are worrying too much. It is no big deal if you get grease on halogen bulbs, you can easily wipe them down with alcohol. I use wet naps like the ones you get from a restaurant when you order baby back ribs. ;)

Edited by programmatore

I agree with the others, I wouldn't worry about it. Worse case scenario (with high temp bulbs), the bulb will just burn out sooner. So if yours burns out, just don't touch the new bulb when you change it.

I'd also just use this as a personal experiment to see if touching the bulb makes a difference.

b-man

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I recommend getting the Philip silvervision side markers.

They appear silver, but extrude orange light at night.

White lamps are not DOT approved, they require an orange lens.

194%20Silver%20Vision%20Bulb.jpg

One of many websites: GMCPauls

HenryV - which bulbs did you use? That is the bulb I'm looking for. I've found the Porsche oem bulb type (2825 using this bulb resource) but haven't been able to find the Philips equivalent. The GMCPauls site has bulbs but isn't any help in tracking down the equivalent bulb either.

thanks,

krista

Talking about lights: I just had my headlights pulled out today and was wondering if it's possible to remove the inner orange glass of the turn lights on my MY 99. If so, I figured I could then replace the bulb by a chromed orange one like pictured below and have REAL white turn lights.

Thanks, :notworthy:

Thorsten

post-3714-1104506945.jpg

You guys are amazing...

After seeing the pictures I'm sure I can do this mod without the TÜV (Official technical check you have to pass here in Germany every two years) noticing it :D

Thanks for the link Tool Pants

Edited by toddel68