Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

C4 Cab Headlight problem

H Guys

I own a 1999 C4 Cab that has the following problems.

Firstly, the soft top goes down when I push the dash mounted button but wont go back up with said button. If I push the button on the key, it does go back up though. This morning I had the top down when I switched the headlights on and all of a sudden the lights are gone! The parking lights still work as does the high beam lights, no driving lights though. I checked the fuses and all seems in order.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much

Etienne

:welcome:

Hmm... try wiggling the ignition key (while switched on). A bad ignition switch can cause all kinds of weird electrical problems.

Thanks Loren

I'll do so today and report back.

As a matter of interest, how big a job is it to replace the light switch? Nearest Porsche service agent is a 8 hour round trip away...

Take care

Etienne

The light switch is not difficult - it has been covered here before several times.

Hi Loren

OK, the ignition switch does not seem to have an effect. Should I replace the light switch? How do I diagnose a faulty switch without replacing it?

Take care

Etienne

The light switch sometimes will become intermittent so there is no test other than trying a new one.

Hi Loren

Thanks, that was quick!! I am trying to find info on replacing the switch, no luck yet. Could you point me in the right direction please?

Thanks

Take care

Etienne

• 2 weeks later...
H Guys

I own a 1999 C4 Cab that has the following problems.

Firstly, the soft top goes down when I push the dash mounted button but wont go back up with said button. If I push the button on the key, it does go back up though. This morning I had the top down when I switched the headlights on and all of a sudden the lights are gone! The parking lights still work as does the high beam lights, no driving lights though. I checked the fuses and all seems in order.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much

Etienne

Hi Guys

Further to my post above. I took the car to the closest Porsche dealer and left it there to be sorted. Close to a 8 hour round trip. The dealer called me to let me know that they are changing the light bulbs as both are blown (I didn't check that) but they can find no further fault with the car. They are saying that it has to be a coincidence that both bulbs blew at the same time. Sounds like rubbish to me!! Oh yea, I also realized later on that the clock in the car was reset when the bulbs blew. Sounds like a short circuit to me?

Does anybody have any thoughts on this please?

Thanks very much

Etienne