Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

current emergency - battery exploded

I tried finding the e-cable (removed all the right side covers), but don't see it. Have been unwilling to do jumper battery technique to open hood because of fear of further damage. Now, I'm ready to try it regardless.

Any electrical techs here?... will I cause even more damage if I try to hook up alternate battery. I'm sure there's battery acid eating away the front trunk as I speak.

thanks,

kj

At this point, there's nothing you can do but jump the trunk open, and deal with the damage after that. Stand by with a fire extinguisher and baking soda. If it really did explode, then there's nothing left in the battery to carry current, and it will be unaffected.

Edited by grover

Used separate battery to open hood. Found that the battery's plastic lid was cracked all over, but seems to have contained the damage to the area below. The battery was shattered. Pieces everywhere. I carefully pulled the battery out and started dumping baking soda on the areas that had collected the most acid - several pockets. The battery tray had contained a great deal and it foamed up with the soda for over 5 minutes.

I can't tell if any damage to all the wiring in there. I ended up sprinkling the area with soda and found many areas that had droplets attached.

Now - why? I have had a Porsche cigarette lighter maintainer for several years. I use it all the time. The battery was original and almost 6 years old. I tried getting a new one recently at Costco, but they didn't have any group 10s, so I thought I'd wait until they did.

Just wondering if my maintainer isn't working properly and 'overcharged' the battery? Can that happen? - overcharge = explosion?

thanks,

kj

Yes, your maintainer isn't working properly and 'overcharged' the battery,,,

Any lead-acid battery system when overcharged will produce hydrogen gas. If the rate of overcharge is small, the vents of each cell allow the dissipation of the gas. However, on severe overcharge or if ventilation is inadequate or the battery is faulty, a flammable concentration of hydrogen may remain in the cell or in the battery enclosure. Any spark can cause a hydrogen and oxygen explosion.

Used separate battery to open hood. Found that the battery's plastic lid was cracked all over, but seems to have contained the damage to the area below. The battery was shattered. Pieces everywhere. I carefully pulled the battery out and started dumping baking soda on the areas that had collected the most acid - several pockets. The battery tray had contained a great deal and it foamed up with the soda for over 5 minutes.

I can't tell if any damage to all the wiring in there. I ended up sprinkling the area with soda and found many areas that had droplets attached.

Now - why? I have had a Porsche cigarette lighter maintainer for several years. I use it all the time. The battery was original and almost 6 years old. I tried getting a new one recently at Costco, but they didn't have any group 10s, so I thought I'd wait until they did.

Just wondering if my maintainer isn't working properly and 'overcharged' the battery? Can that happen? - overcharge = explosion?

thanks,

kj

I know it's not the same, but I feel a little like.... "Houston, we have a problem"

thanks,

kj

Suggest taking a spray bottle and mixing water with baking soda......spray all the metal parts in the area, on the hood - everywhere. The gases from the battery will cause corrosion over time. The mixture won't hurt anything and you can then wash down with a hose sprayer. You won't regret it.