Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

More coolant loss

Hi all, scary coolant loss issue. Car is a 98 2.5 manual with 54k miles on

* 9 months ago one morning the temp light flashed, I topped up with water & took car to JZM in King's Langley. They spent 4 hours looking for leaking expansion tanks, radiators, coolant lines, and checking the head gasket, and found nothing wrong.

* 4 months ago one day the same happened. I took it to PorscheTech in Finchley Road where Andy pressure tested the coolant and found nothing wrong, except a pin-sized hole at the top of the expansion tank through which nothing was noticably escaping (and not worth spending £500 on getting a new tank fitted to fix). I fitted the latest coolant cap BTW.

* On tuesday I drove 300 miles

* Wednesday morning, flashing light, I put in about 250ml water and light stopped flashing

* Thursday morning, flashing light, I drove 2 miles, stopped, inspected it, coolant level was normal & when I re-started, it didn't flash any more!

What are your thoughts - should I be worried about coolant leaking into the engine, or if this was the case would there clearly be evidence of oil in the coolant header tank? Surely a leak would have been detected by the 2 places I took it into? Quite worried now.

Discovered a cracked rad today, it must have been a hairline a year ago that took ages to develop. I'm actually relieved in a way as it explains my recent spate of coolant loss & rules out engine damage issues (for now!)

Questions:

* To change one rad, do they have to spend a while bleeding / draining the cooling system?

* If so, should I save some money longer term by change both rads (car is 10 years old manual 2.5 and neither changed so far) so rust is inevitable I suppose

* How will I know if the AC condensors need doing at the same time / is that common?

Ta

• Admin

1. To bleed the system right - you to vacuum refill.

2. I would look the other one over real well. It could be that some debris flew up and damaged the radiator (which could also happen on a new one).

3. Inspection and have the AC pressure tested.