Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

strange problem with driver side window

I got 1999 996 coupe and I have a strange window problem. First time it happen was late last year. I lock the car with the remote(windows closed) and went to a store and when I came back out I noticed window was half opened. About two months ago, while I was driving the car, I wanted to close the windows and when I push the button the windows went up about 3-4 inches and went down all the way. I tried again and it went up 3-4 inches again and went down all the way. At third time it came up just like normal. I thought about calling the dealership but it didn't happen again for a while so I just let it be. But yesterday it did a same thing again. I had to press two more times to make it go up.

I've already called up the service guy at the dealership and they are going to get me in three weeks(dealership was willing to look at the car this week but I had a problem with my schedule). So before I take the car in for a service, has anyone heard of this problem? I thought I've heard something similar in one of Boxster forum but can't find it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I remember complaints like this on early Boxsters when I started Boxstering 5 years ago. It was called Ferry's Ghost. Did not know it happened to 996s.

It has been too long and I do not remember what the fix was. Perphaps the motor or control unit.