Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

High speed rear shimmy after wheel bearing replacement!

I replaced a VERY loud wheel bearing over the weekend and felt like I was driving a brand new car until I hit about 145km/h. I now have a pronounced rear shimmy that wasn't there with the old bearing. We used a SIR type tool to press out the bearing so that the knuckle stayed in place. We did whack on the hub to help it in until the axle nut could do it's job, do you think I might have thrown something out of alignment? The reason I chose to replace the bearing in this fashion was to get out of paying for alignment. Any suggestions? The tires are relatively new and were fine before the replacement.

• 1 month later...
I have to replace the bearing on the drivers side.. how hard of a job is it?

Chris

Front or Rear Chris.

If rear I changed mine about 12 months ago and i took pictures of the whole job, used no special tools and with each photo i have written up exactly what is going on, I have indicated the bolts or nuts to loosen remove etc with arrows pointing to them.

The file is 1.8 meg and this is zipped as low as i could get so i think it is too big to upload here, but if you want the file PM me and i will click reply and attach, of course anyone else wanting the file just do the same

• 4 weeks later...

Going back to the original post, I have a similar situation with my car. My driver's side rear wheel bearing was making a very annoying squealing sound and I replaced it, placed new ties on the car, and had it aligned. Still there is a high speed vibration that come on about 80 mph. Any ideas? I have a 2001 Boxster, stock.

will need to re-balance your tires.

Going back to the original post, I have a similar situation with my car. My driver's side rear wheel bearing was making a very annoying squealing sound and I replaced it, placed new ties on the car, and had it aligned. Still there is a high speed vibration that come on about 80 mph. Any ideas? I have a 2001 Boxster, stock.