Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2001 2.7 Boxster possible blown head gasket?

I went up and bought this car. Its in great shape. The seller said that it was blowing water vapors out the tailpipe after it pegged the temp. gauge. He said he pulled it right over and called a tow truck. To his knowledge oil and water didnt mix. He started it up and it sounds just like my last one. (No rattles or odd sounds) his mechanic said the water pump had been replaced at some point. I was told to get a compression test and that could tell me whether the head gasket went. The car looks amazing and I got it for 6500. so I think I could come out way ahead if it is something smaller like a water pump. If I need to put a used motor in I was told by a shop that for 6-7k they could install a 3.2 motor in it. The car is a 2001 with a 2.7 and 100k milage and is a 5 speed and is a US car. Anyone know of any other tests or what this could possibly be? Because of work I cant get the car to a shop for a few weeks. But I would like to go in with a little knowledge of what it could possibly be. . .

Thanks

dave

I would pull the engine oil dip stick to see any residue, check the coolant resirvor if it's foamy. but most definately u will need to pull the plugs out, run a compression test.

I went up and bought this car. Its in great shape. The seller said that it was blowing water vapors out the tailpipe after it pegged the temp. gauge. He said he pulled it right over and called a tow truck. To his knowledge oil and water didnt mix. He started it up and it sounds just like my last one. (No rattles or odd sounds) his mechanic said the water pump had been replaced at some point. I was told to get a compression test and that could tell me whether the head gasket went. The car looks amazing and I got it for 6500. so I think I could come out way ahead if it is something smaller like a water pump. If I need to put a used motor in I was told by a shop that for 6-7k they could install a 3.2 motor in it. The car is a 2001 with a 2.7 and 100k milage and is a 5 speed and is a US car. Anyone know of any other tests or what this could possibly be? Because of work I cant get the car to a shop for a few weeks. But I would like to go in with a little knowledge of what it could possibly be. . .

Thanks

dave

Thanks for the replys. it will be a couple of weeks before I can get back to the car. I will do what you guys say and check the fluids.

How much for the 2.7 if I need one? When you put the 3.4 in what other things did you have to update? Brains, mounts?

I was potentionally thinking of a 3.2 but if the price is right on the 2.7. Money is tight at this point. Just enough to get her back on the road. . .I have to sell my strosek here in the next couple of weeks as soon as it is done. Then I can get into this one full time

Thanks

dave

Edited by tvacom

Thanks for the replys. it will be a couple of weeks before I can get back to the car. I will do what you guys say and check the fluids.

How much for the 2.7 if I need one? When you put the 3.4 in what other things did you have to update? Brains, mounts?

I was potentionally thinking of a 3.2 but if the price is right on the 2.7. Money is tight at this point. Just enough to get her back on the road. . .I have to sell my strosek here in the next couple of weeks as soon as it is done. Then I can get into this one full time

Thanks

dave

Dave,

A " leak down test is a common course of action. Also, Look in the inside of the oil filler cap for any gray froth. Oil and water in a motor don't neatly separate, it a grayish goop. Don's sweat it, for what you paid you can't go wrong.

Regards, PK

• 4 weeks later...

So I got the car back last week from Jason at RS Enterprises in Ventura. Great to work with would Highly recommend his services.

Not a blown headgasket. Turns out it was a thermastat and radiator cap that was spurting coolant under pressure which was finding its way to the bottom of the car. He did a leak down test and said it was fine. He replaced the coolant (checked the whole system) did an oil change, did the drive belt, spark plug tube orings, ignition switch and a water temp sensor. I have put 500 miles on it in the last week and temperature is riding about 190 and no problems whatsoever!

So I am ahead of the game for once. Knock on wood. I am installing an Avic DVD Nav unit tom. I bought the kit from truillionare last week. So far seems pretty straight forward.

Just thought I would update you all. Thanks for all your post in trying to figure this out.

dave

Edited by tvacom

Good deal!

So I got the car back last week from Jason at RS Enterprises in Ventura. Great to work with would Highly recommend his services.

Not a blown headgasket. Turns out it was a thermastat and radiator cap that was spurting coolant under pressure which was finding its way to the bottom of the car. He did a leak down test and said it was fine. He replaced the coolant (checked the whole system) did an oil change, did the drive belt, spark plug tube orings, ignition switch and a water temp sensor. I have put 500 miles on it in the last week and temperature is riding about 190 and no problems whatsoever!

So I am ahead of the game for once. Knock on wood. I am installing an Avic DVD Nav unit tom. I bought the kit from truillionare last week. So far seems pretty straight forward.

Just thought I would update you all. Thanks for all your post in trying to figure this out.

dave