Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Sun visor mirror removal?

I've got a very annoying squeak that comes from the passenger side sun visor when it's up against the head liner. It goes away when the visor is flipped towards the windshield. I'd like to take out the mirror and add some felt strips to quiet things down.

It looks like there's a plastic ring that's attached to the visor directly and the mirror assembly pops into the ring. I tried to pop the mirror out but I stopped before I figured I'd break something. Does anyone know how the mirror comes out of the visor?

• 3 months later...

I just took my mirror out for some work last weekend. Everything is held in place with snaps. There are two ways to take out the mirror.

1) You can pop the mirror out of the plastic ring. That will access the light bulb and switches as well, so be careful not to pop those pieces out or lose them when you take out the mirror.

2) You can take out the plastic ring and the mirror as one piece. That avoids having to worry about the bulb and switches. You can't take it completely off the visor because of the two small wires soldered in place for the light, but you can move it a few inches - enough to add some felt. The plastic snaps are a little bit heftier for the ring than the mirror, so you have to work a little more to get it out. What I did was put a butter knife wrapped in tape under the top and worked the two snaps out from there. Then I swung it out. It sticks a little bit to the vinyl of the visor so the first time is the hardest.

I've done both. It went back together easily.

Just a side story about a sad chain of events... I ended up having to work on the visor because the mirror cover broke off. It was left open by my passenger while the convertible top was down. Then the sun went behind the clouds, so the visor was flipped up, still with the mirror door open. Then it started to rain, so I put the top up. This closed down on the mirror cover, trapping it in between the convertible top and the windshield top. I didn't notice at the time. Later, the sun came out and the visor was flipped down again, and the mirror cover snapped right off. I took the visor off and noticed that the plastic hinge was broken and unfixable, so I made a metal hinge and put it in. It works, light and all, but it's a little stiffer than it was. I ended up popping out the mirror with the plastic ring on both the driver and passenger side, switched the mirrors/covers because I never use my mirror, and put it all back together. One day I'll replace the visor, but it seems to only come as a full piece and is a bit expensive for such a minor fix.

• 3 weeks later...

You can buy just the mirror insert with no lights for $34 shipped from euroautoparts (250230716678) off ebay. Looks exactly the same as the lighted one and very clean, just no lights.. Real Porsche part. I bought one just for the door that got screwed up from Goof-off. If you never use the mirror then why worry aboiut the lights!. Just pops right in and comes with NO FRIGGIN AIRBAG STICKER ON IT!!!!!

I just took my mirror out for some work last weekend. Everything is held in place with snaps. There are two ways to take out the mirror.

1) You can pop the mirror out of the plastic ring. That will access the light bulb and switches as well, so be careful not to pop those pieces out or lose them when you take out the mirror.

2) You can take out the plastic ring and the mirror as one piece. That avoids having to worry about the bulb and switches. You can't take it completely off the visor because of the two small wires soldered in place for the light, but you can move it a few inches - enough to add some felt. The plastic snaps are a little bit heftier for the ring than the mirror, so you have to work a little more to get it out. What I did was put a butter knife wrapped in tape under the top and worked the two snaps out from there. Then I swung it out. It sticks a little bit to the vinyl of the visor so the first time is the hardest.

I've done both. It went back together easily.

Just a side story about a sad chain of events... I ended up having to work on the visor because the mirror cover broke off. It was left open by my passenger while the convertible top was down. Then the sun went behind the clouds, so the visor was flipped up, still with the mirror door open. Then it started to rain, so I put the top up. This closed down on the mirror cover, trapping it in between the convertible top and the windshield top. I didn't notice at the time. Later, the sun came out and the visor was flipped down again, and the mirror cover snapped right off. I took the visor off and noticed that the plastic hinge was broken and unfixable, so I made a metal hinge and put it in. It works, light and all, but it's a little stiffer than it was. I ended up popping out the mirror with the plastic ring on both the driver and passenger side, switched the mirrors/covers because I never use my mirror, and put it all back together. One day I'll replace the visor, but it seems to only come as a full piece and is a bit expensive for such a minor fix.