Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

de-snorkel?

I keep seeing that others have "desnorkeled " their Boxster. What does this mean and where can I read about it?

means you pulled out the intake's sound muffler on a 986. makes the engine sound much more aggressive especially at 4K RPMs and higher. Negligible sound increase at idle. Takes less than 10 min to do

Here's a link to one set of instructions:

http://www.ppbb.com/boards/ppbbphp/showthr...&sb=&o=

I'm sure others can be found in the archives here.

It's really only for the 986 as w/ the 987 it's been reported (unofficially) your mileage will be dramatically reduced.

I keep seeing that others have "desnorkeled " their Boxster. What does this mean and where can I read about it?

means you pulled out the intake's sound muffler on a 986. makes the engine sound much more aggressive especially at 4K RPMs and higher. Negligible sound increase at idle. Takes less than 10 min to do

It's really only for the 986 as w/ the 987 it's been reported (unofficially) your mileage will be dramatically reduced.

Thanks for the Quick Reply-I'll give it a try this weekend.

Thanks for the Quick Reply-I'll give it a try this weekend.

I made the change-love the sound difference but it triggered a Check engine light for my MAFS. I will clean it again and re-set. Thanks for sending the file with photos-very helpful.

I made the change-love the sound difference but it triggered a Check engine light for my MAFS. I will clean it again and re-set. Thanks for sending the file with photos-very helpful.

You would've gotten a CEL for the MAF regardless of de-snork or not (the snork is just a muffler and has little bearing unless you have an aftermarket intake). Sounds like MAF might be on it's way out. Clean it up and see if it'll go away or just un-plug it and reset the CEL to see if it's truly bad or not. If it's bad, just order a new one online for $200 or less. It's a 5 min DIY to replace.

Good luck and enjoy the sound!

You would've gotten a CEL for the MAF regardless of de-snork or not (the snork is just a muffler and has little bearing unless you have an aftermarket intake). Sounds like MAF might be on it's way out. Clean it up and see if it'll go away or just un-plug it and reset the CEL to see if it's truly bad or not. If it's bad, just order a new one online for $200 or less. It's a 5 min DIY to replace.

Good luck and enjoy the sound!

That's what I thought-I also recently added a K&N filter so that may be the culprit here. MAFS seem to have a shorter life expectancy here in Southern California for some reason ( air quality?) but this car has only 23k on it. I'll clean and pray! Thanks.

I also recently added a K&N filter so that may be the culprit here.

I have seen a lot of CEL's in our service department at work from the excess oil that is sometimes

on a K&N filter when removed from the packaging - some of them are dripping with the stuff!

This might be desireable on a dirt bike in the desert but is wholly unneccesary of a street car. All

it takes is one drop on the MAF in most vehicles to cause a code.

I recommend wiping off the excess first......or even washing in light detergent, and then spraying

very lightly with oil on the outside only. This usually solves the problem.

Maybe that is what happenned here.

Edited by 986fan

• 2 weeks later...

It's 99% certain that the K&N is causing it. The oil will ruin the MAF...I do wish that I had ordered the MAF myself...the local service shop charged me about $800 for purchase and installation. Afterwards I read up about it and found out that the MAF sensor is one of the easiest parts to replace...although still a little on the costly side. I'm not even sure if the service shop even bought a new one or cleaned the old one...things I wish I asked!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I read lot of info about about desnorkeling Boxsters, so I decided I will be the next one to take it out. I took it out last week. Yesterday heavy rain caught me while driving. Pretty close to home I noticed slight lower performance plus a little bit of hesitation when accelerating. Rpm needle was bouncing up and down, +- 200rpm. No code was thrown.

I parked my car. Today car is driving great. All problems are gone. So I'm thinking, did my car suck some water. How much?

Anyway I found that somebody cut the tube in 1/4 of the length and attach the "small bowl" back. Sorry for the description.

I did exactly same thing.

post-12603-1189348256_thumb.jpg

Put it back. Same great sound and car won't take any water ever again. Let's hope so.

Put it back. Same great sound and car won't take any water ever again. Let's hope so.

De-snorkeling will not bring in water. Look at the design of the snorkel,it can serve as a reservoir to hold water,not protect the car from ingesting it.

It's HIGHLY unlikely that your intake will suck in anything,it would have to heads upwards on the intake box,pass the air filter and then it would hit the throttle body and onto the engine. Oh yeah that would have to happen after water is shot into the intake at a 90 degree angle......not gonna happen.

De-snorkeling will not bring in water. Look at the design of the snorkel,it can serve as a reservoir to hold water,not protect the car from ingesting it.

It's HIGHLY unlikely that your intake will suck in anything,it would have to heads upwards on the intake box,pass the air filter and then it would hit the throttle body and onto the engine. Oh yeah that would have to happen after water is shot into the intake at a 90 degree angle......not gonna happen.

I forgot to mention that Porsche updated the louvre on the driver side intake. It now has a small block built into the 1st and 2nd lowest louvre grilles to block out anything from being sucked in.

• 1 month later...

I forgot to mention that Porsche updated the louvre on the driver side intake. It now has a small block built into the 1st and 2nd lowest louvre grilles to block out anything from being sucked in.

I have tried to get my "blinds"/louvers and the bezel out and it isn't cooperating. I have forced the plastic as firmly as I think I can without breaking anything. Any recommendations?

Alan

'01 Boxster S

I have tried to get my "blinds"/louvers and the bezel out and it isn't cooperating. I have forced the plastic as firmly as I think I can without breaking anything. Any recommendations?

I am highly interested in doing this and have an '01 S also........anxious to here any info...........

• 7 months later...

It's easy. Look at the trim ring and find the screw in the upper middle. Remove screw. Gently but firmly remove the ring, not the grill. Once the ring is off, it's time to remove the remove the grill. It has 3 attachment legs, push each one through it's clip then remove the grill. Now look in the hole. You will see the snorkel. Firmly hold it and rock it back and forth while gentle pulling. It will pop out and you will then cut you wrist or hand at this point. Put everything back in reverse and you are done.

Now I have no idea if it gives you any horse power (though I have seen a thread that showed several dyno runs with and without and it appeared to be a consistent 5 hp gain). With the design of the snorkel acting as a restrictor and it appear that it would cause a pressure drop at the intake box with a narrow opening and getting wider, not just a silencer as in other cars I've desnorked, I can easily see why it would gain hp.

One warning, you will get worse gas mileage. The sound is so wonderful you will stay in throttle as much as possible.

Edited by silver arrow

I read lot of info about about desnorkeling Boxsters, so I decided I will be the next one to take it out. I took it out last week. Yesterday heavy rain caught me while driving. Pretty close to home I noticed slight lower performance plus a little bit of hesitation when accelerating. Rpm needle was bouncing up and down, +- 200rpm. No code was thrown.

I parked my car. Today car is driving great. All problems are gone. So I'm thinking, did my car suck some water. How much?

Anyway I found that somebody cut the tube in 1/4 of the length and attach the "small bowl" back. Sorry for the description.

I did exactly same thing.

post-12603-1189348256_thumb.jpg

Actually I had the same problem. I have a cold air intake "obviously no snorkel" one night I was driving and every thing seemed normal until it started raining, the car started hesitating and I noticed loss of performance, it seems almost like the car was gonna shut down!! Next day "sunny day" I drive the car and no problems. So I take the cone air intake filter out and notice dry dirt in the shape of raindrops around the cone filter housing. Now I am not sure if the rain caused the problem but it sure does seem that way.